Paypal Donatation

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Movie Review # 100 Tapioca (2008)


Release: 2008
Director: Paddy Houlihan
Writer(s):  Mike Houlihan, Paddy Houlihan, Michael McNeal
Cast: Ben Vereen, Mike Houlihan, Paddy Houlihan


Ratings:
Rotten Tomatoes: 44% Audience
IMDb: 5.3/10
Netflix: 1.8 Stars


Review:
(I want to start off with this. Thanks to all my readers out there for helping me make it to review #100.)

The story behind how I watched Tapioca is a interesting one. As I was contacted by Mike Houlihan on May 12, 2011. He told me about his movie and then asked me if I would be kind enough to review it. I followed up and we shared a correspondence back and forth that has lead to this day. So here is my review of the movie Tapioca.

Tapioca is part Groundhogs Day and part Scrooge. But neither at the same time. I say that as Groundhogs Day had him reliving the same day in hopes of finding redemption and changing who he was. Scrooge seeing of three ghosts and coming to terms with his evil ways.

The same can be said Pipes (Mike Houlihan) who is thrown literally under the bus. As he loses everything and has to come to terms with his own existence and how he has lived his life. With the help of Nuts (Ben Vereen) and the interesting cast of characters that follows.

Now the story of one mans redemption and finding his way is great. To a point but it is also this movies weakest point. As it never showed Pipes and his true redemption as there never was that Aha! moment and the one that happen was undersold and a huge let down. Thankfully not enough to tarnish the movie as a whole but enough that it is noticed. As it was just to sudden and not enough to finish off the Hell that Pipes had been through.

Outside of this I found this movie enjoyable and entertaining. Even with the Christian undertones through out. Which usually is a giant killer for me when it comes to movies. But this one was sentimental and its message of doing right upon others and righteousness will come for you. Is something I can stand behind as it is my life's mantra. It is also just a good moral life choice to live by.

As far as other things in the movie. The opening was hard to listen to as the opening song was extremely loud and had a grainy sound that grated on my nerves. I do not know if it was the audio mixing on the DVD or just a bad copy. But the same can be said of the video quality of the movie for which Mike did warn me about. But that I can not hold against it as this movies story is moving and enchanting no matter the quality of the copy.

Which was not his fault but the company that ripped the DVD's. Which I find funny as I remember back in the day of ripping and making own VHS tapes and how this would happen. So seeing this happening in today's times is extremely funny to me. Also it is extremely irritating to the directors, actors and producers of these movies as it tarnishes their works. So shame on you Vanguard!

Now that my shaming is out of the way. Tapioca is a great movie to show to kids 13 and older. As its morals and story show that forgiveness and doing right will lead to better pay days and a happier life. It is also just an enjoyable movie that needs to be seen. Now I do owe a world of thanks for Mike Houlihan for telling me about this movie and sending me a copy. Thank you!

My Rating: 3.25 out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment