Paypal Donatation

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Movie Review # 6 of 365 Consecutive: Keith


Release: April 11, 2008 Palm Beach International Film Festival
Director: Todd Kessler (Blue's Clues, Blue's Clues Big Musical Movie)
Writer: David Zabel (Screenplay) (ER, Detroit 1-8-7, Dark Angel)
              Ron Carlson (Story)
Cast: Jesse McCartney (Alvin and the Chipmunks, Horton Hears a Who)
          Elisabeth Harnois (A Single Man, Ten Inch Hero)
          Ethan Phillips (Star Trek: Voyager, Glory, The Island)


IMDB: 7.5/10 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0435679/
Rotten Tomatoes: 77% Fresh (Audience only)
Netflix: 3.9 Stars


Review:
Well here it is day 6 and I was supposed to review Pokemon: Rise of Darkrai but sadly my roomy decided that today I should watch a film of her choosing. Which happened to be Keith. I will honestly admit I hate films like these as they force you to relive a moment of life you don't want to. That or they make you think about something else that you don't want. Either way it is the don't want to part that makes me choke up. I can not say what that is as it will ruin the film.

What I can talk about is the acting of Jesse McCartney at times he was brilliant others it seemed as if his mood was forced. The same can be be said of Elisabeth Harnois. She had moment's of brilliance and times of bleh and that just goes for the entire cast. The only part that made me giggle is every time Ethan Phillips was on screen as all I could picture was the Rinaxian known as Neelix prancing around teaching chemistry instead of a cooking class. Yes I just admitted that I am a Trekker or is a Trekkie? Either which way yes I am. Since I am admitting my faults I am also a Star Wars geek and a Pokemon Dweeb. There the cats are out and running free. Just be careful where you step they do occasionally leave bombs on the lawn.

Now back to the movie. Todd Kessler made a huge jump from Blue's Clues to this film. I mean seriously a happy go lucky children's show to this deep, thought provoking and emotional roller coaster. Yet for the most part he seemed at ease with it. As if this film was close to his heart in some way. Which I wouldn't doubt and again I won't spoil the movie.

Now my only complaint in this film was the editing and some of the shots as they seemed either staged and set up. The editing at times jumped from one scene to another with no real transition. Even with that it could not take away from this story. With everything that I disliked the story was amazing and it deserves a look for it alone.

Now on a side note and closing. I have no idea if anyone even reads this. It doesn't matter my friends think that I will give up on this blog like I do on everything else. Which I will not 365 days of reviewing movies is a lot of work and a lot of hours. But it is something that I want to prove to myself that I can do something other than be in more or less constant pain. I just hope that some of you along the way leave a comment. If not I will just keep toodling along writing every day for my own pleasure and enjoyment.


My Rating: 3.75 Stars out of 5


Movie Trailer:






Keith (Film)Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_(film)



My Review Criteria: Must be a film I have never seen and available on Netflix (Streaming or DVD). Must be a B-Film, Indie Film or Foreign Film. Must have not been released in mass to Theaters in the USA. Feel free to submit any movie you would want me to review. I am game for anything.
(Goal to write 365 movie reviews in 365 days. Damn I am nuts!)

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    Dunno if Blogpost would notify you bout this comment i made, but regardless i'd still write it up.

    Knowing that this movie review was written back in 2011, we could presume that most viewers of today's age & time had seen a lot of films in all kinds of genres(may it be a rom-com,drama, more especially 'dark' genre,action,sci-fi just to name some) cause aside from its almost accesible to everybody like there are so many platforms & APP they can choose from to watched movies at anytime & anywhere, also in today's time movie-bingeing is a 'trend'. A lot of people these days spends a lot of hours watching either TV series, watching animes, or movies every single day. So my point is, upon watching this film i bet a lot would think that there are other films better than this on the same genre.. but heck, for me personally i find this film great and it offered a new flavor since if i try to recall other films similar with Keith, mostly it's the female protagonist is the one who bids goodbye due to the uncurable sickness.

    Keep on writing reviews, im sure a lot were able to read your posts, including me.

    ~DU30

    ReplyDelete