Paypal Donatation

Friday, March 4, 2011

Movie Review # 4 City Island

Release:  2009 (
Director: 
Raymond De Felitta (The Thing About My Folks, Two Family House)
Writer:
Raymond De Felitta
Cast: 
Andy Garcia (Oceans 11, Oceans 12, Oceans 13, The Godfather Part III, The Untouchables)
Julianna Marguilies (Snakes on a Plane, ER, The Good Wife)
        
Reviews: 
Rotten Tomatoes: 81% Fresh Rating (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/city_island/)
IMDB: 7.5/10 (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1174730/)
Netflix: 3.7 Stars out of 5

Review:
First off I want to apologize for yesterday's movie review. I honestly feel I did not give due justice to the Hebrew Hammer. But I won't be going back and changing it as this is a challenge to do one movie review every day for a year. I mean seriously 365 days of watching one movie and then writing a review. Has this been done before? Seriously anyone know? If it hasn't then its totally awesome. Anyways on to the review for City Island.

Raymond De Felitta who wrote and directed this film showed more than just passion for his work. He showed that B-Films and Indie films are where the heart and soul of cinema is today. I say that as this movie confronts you the viewing audience with one question at the begining of the film. "What is your deepest darkest secret?" and at the time of that line coming out you have no idea why such a line would be the context of a feature film. Then as the layers peel away and you see the people and all their faults. All their desires and how they each are hiding one thing or several things.

It makes you feel for the characters as each comes to terms with their secrets. Be it being a Feeder, a Stripper, a dead beat father or just feeling as if you are no longer sexy enough for your mate. It covers everything and it covers it beautifully. What is amazing is that this movie did not catch on as other indie films did like Little Miss Sunshine, My Big Fat Greek Wedding and even as recently as (500) Days of Summer. As it has the same factors that made each of these films mega-blockbusters. Strong characters, amazing story and a heartfelt message that rips at your heartstrings.

I know that this film is possibly one of the best I will watch in this year long Exodus and at the end of the year. I will put out my top 10 films I watched and my bottom 10. Thankfully I do not have to relive Troll 2, Pocket Ninjas or even Turkish Star Wars. Sadly though I also can not enjoy films like this one and Exam which is an amazing movie. That is just part of this journey I am expanding my viewing and going after films I have never seen. Which I am thankful for as I possibly would have never watched this film. Which to date in this 4 day exodus is the best one by far. I just hope that some of you sit back and take a chance on this movie.

My Rating 4.25 Stars out of 5




City Island Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_Island_(film)



My Review Criteria: Must be a film I have never seen and available on Netflix (Streaming or DVD). Must be a B-Film, Indie Film or Foreign Film. Must have not been released in mass to Theaters in the USA. Feel free to submit any movie you would want me to review. I am game for anything.
(Goal to write 365 movie reviews in 365 days. Damn I am nuts!)


No comments:

Post a Comment